Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Alabama?
Individuals must be licensed to perform any type of plumbing work inside the State.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Alabama?
- Master Plumber - Every firm or corporation must employ at least one duly registered and certified master plumber. The master plumber must have their current annual certificate issued by the board.
- Journeyman Plumber - The Journeyman Plumber performs the installation, repair, and replacement of plumbing systems. They must pass a board examination and hold a valid certificate issued by the board.
How do I get my plumbing license in Alabama?
- Meet the Prelicense Requirements
- Journeyman Exam - 2 years of CURRENT work experience
- Pass the Exam - Study from the comfort of home!
- Obtain Your Certification
Once you pass the exam, you have ninety (90) calendar days to obtain your certification from the date you pass your examination. If you do not obtain your certification within ninety (90) calendar days from the date you pass your examination, you will have to re-test.
What can I expect from the Alabama journeyman plumbing exam?
70 Questions | 3 Hours
You must get a 70% to pass.
- 5 Questions - Plumbing Fixtures and Terminology
- 6 Questions - Plumbing Fundamentals
- 10 Questions - Traps, Cleanouts, and Interceptors
- 12 Questions - Drainage Requirements
- 11 Questions - Vent Requirements
- 6 Questions - Water Distribution
- 20 Questions - Plan and Analysis
What does your journeyman plumber exam prep cover?
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Practice Tests
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
What should I bring to the Alabama plumber exams?
You must take two forms of identification:
- One must be a VALID form of government-issued identification (driver’s license, state ID, passport) which bears your signature and has your photograph.
- The second ID must have your signature and preprinted legal name.
Arrive 30 minutes before your appointment.
You are responsible for bringing your own reference materials to the examination center. They may be highlighted, underlined and/or indexed prior to the examination session, but are not allowed to contain lengthy notes. You cannot write in the materials during the examination. You will have access to an online calculator or you can take a silent, nonprinting, non-programmable calculator in the examination center.
You may bring the following reference materials:
- International Plumbing Code, 2015, International Code Council, 4051 W Flossmoor Rd, Country Club Hills, IL 60478, (800) 786-4452, http://www.iccsafe.org
- Alabama Code: Plumbers and Gas Fitters, Chapter 37, http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/34/37
- Rules of the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board, 720-x, http://pgfb.state.al.us/rules.aspx
Where can I take the Alabama journeyman plumber exam?
Exams are given weekly in Birmingham, Huntsville, Mobile, and Montgomery. Out-of-state exam locations are also available.
How do I know if I passed the Alabama journeyman plumber exam?
Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification. If you do not pass, you will receive a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the exam?
All examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and every reasonable accommodation will be made in meeting a candidate's needs. Applicants with disabilities or those who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination must first receive their Eligibility Notice, then fill out the Special Arrangement Request form at the end of this Candidate Information Bulletin and fax it to PSI (702) 932-2666.
How do I renew my journeyman plumber license in Alabama?
All certificates and registrations expire on December 31 of each year. Renewal begins October 1 through December 31 of each year. The fees to renew are as follows:
Journeyman Plumber $50.00
Journeyman Gas Fitter $50.00
Replacement Card $25.00
If you renew after December 31, the late renewal fee is equal to the renewal rate for your certificate or registration. You can renew online at https://igovsolution.net/pgfbonline/user_login.aspx
Do I need continuing education to maintain my journeyman or master plumber license in Alabama?
There is currently no continuing education requirement to renew your license.
Who issues the Alabama plumbing license?
The Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Examining Board has contracted with PSI Services LLC (PSI) to conduct the examination program.