What are the types of plumbing licenses in Connecticut?
P-1 UNLIMITED PLUMBING CONTRACTOR
The holder of this license may do all plumbing and piping work as defined in section 20-330 of the Connecticut General Statutes. The requirements to qualify for this license examination shall be two (2) years as an unlimited licensed journeyperson or equivalent experience and training.
P-2 UNLIMITED JOURNEYPERSON PLUMBER
The holder of this license may do all plumbing and piping work as so defined and only while in the employ of a contractor licensed for such work. The requirements to qualify for this license examination shall be the completion of a registered apprenticeship program or equivalent experience and training.
Is there a test required to get a journeyperson plumbers license?
Yes, Connecticut has a three-tier process to apply for licensing:
- Apprenticeship program completion or proof of equivalent experience and training
- Licensed journeyperson for two years
- Contractor license.
The test is through PSI
How do I become a journeyperson plumber in Connecticut?
- Complete an approved Apprenticeship program or proof of equivalent experience and training.
- Apply to the state and pass the P-2 Unlimited Journeyperson Plumber exam through PSI
- Complete two years of work as a journeyperson Plumber
- Apply to the state and pass the P-1 Unlimited Plumber exam and Business and Law Exam through PSI
What can I expect from the Connecticut journeyperson plumber test?
Number of Questions: 70
Time Allowed: 2.5 Hours
The test will consist of the following sections:
- 4 Questions - General Plumbing Regulations
- 5 Questions - Gas Systems
- 4 Questions - Cleanouts
- 6 Questions - Fixtures and Equipment
- 2 Questions - Water Heaters
- 3 Questions - Piping, Valves, Controls
- 4 Questions - Water Supply 5 Hangers and Supports
- 11 Questions - Drain, Waste, and Vent
- 3 Questions - Backflow
- 4 Questions - Traps and Interceptors
- 3 Questions - Developed length
- 6 Questions - Isometric Analysis
- 4 Questions - Joints and Connections
- 3 Questions - Safety and Excavation
- 3 Questions - Water Treatment
What does your Connecticut Journeyman plumber exam prep cover?
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Practice Tests
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
What code is the Connecticut plumbing test based on?
2012 International Plumbing Code
Are Connecticut plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
Yes, only Unlimited Plumbing Contractors
Is the Connecticut Journeyperson Plumbing Exam Open Book?
What should I bring to the Connecticut plumber exam?
- State ID or Driver’s License
- A standard calculator
- All approved reference material
- A writing utensil
- International Plumbing Code IPC 2012 or 2015, and/or IPC Commentary 2012 or 2015
- NFPA 54: National Fuel Gas Code or National Fuel Gas Code Handbook 2012
- NFPA 58: Liquefied Petroleum Gas Code
- Code of Federal Regulations – 29 CFR Part 1926 OSHA
- Water Processing: Residential, Commercial, Light Industrial 3rd Edition, 2000, Wes McGowen
- NFPA 56: Standard for Fire and Explosion Prevention During Cleaning and Purging of Flammable Gas Piping Systems
Books that are recommended by PSI for Study, but are not allowed into the exam
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, Lee Smith, 8th Edition
- Plumbing Design and Installation, L.V. Ripka
Where can I take the Connecticut plumbers license exam?
Select the license you are pursuing from this page. Enter your zip code at the bottom of your license page to find the nearest location.
What are the examination fees for the plumbers’ license in Connecticut?
- P-1 Unlimited Plumbing Contractor – $130.00
- CT Contractor Business and Law – $65.00
- P-2 Unlimited Journeyperson Plumbing Contractor $130.00
What are the plumbing licensing fees in Connecticut?
- Plumbing & Piping Limited Contractor - $150
- Plumbing & Piping Limited Journeyman - $120
- Plumbing & Piping Unlimited Contractor - $150
- Plumbing & Piping Unlimited Journeyperson - $120
How do I know if I passed the Connecticut plumber exam?
PSI will inform you if you passed or failed the exam on your exam date.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
All examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and exam accommodations will be made in meeting a candidate’s needs. Applicants with disabilities or those who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination must fill out the form at the end of this Candidate Information Bulletin and fax it to PSI (702) 932-2666. This form also includes out-of-state testing requests.
Is there any way to be waved from the plumbing examination?
If I am licensed in another State, do I still have to get a Connecticut Plumbing License?
How often do I have to renew by plumbing license in Connecticut?
Annually on October 31st
What are the renewal fees for Connecticut Plumbers?
- Plumbing Contractors -$150.00
- Journeyperson - $120.00
Do I need continued education or an update course to renew my license?
Continuing Education is not required to renew your plumber's license
Who do I contact regarding a plumbing license in Connecticut?
Department of Consumer Protection
450 Columbus Boulevard, Suite 901
Hartford, Connecticut 06103-1840
Division Phone: (860) 713-6000
Fax: (860) 706-1200