Florida has two types of licenses
- Certified Plumbing Contractor - Certified at the state level to conduct business statewide.
- Registered Plumbing Contractor- Issued by localities, contractors must comply with their procedures to become registered to conduct business in that location.
Note: Registered contractors are only eligible to conduct business the in the areas where they are registered.
How do I become a Florida Registered Plumbing Contractor?
Individuals who have taken and passed a local licensing examination and have received a Certificate of Competency from a local jurisdiction may apply for a REGISTERED license.
You must complete an application for Registered Contractor as an Individual form # DBPR CILB 2
The initial application fees vary depending upon when the application is submitted. See Application Requirements.
How do I become a Certified Plumbing Contractor in Florida?
- Obtain a passing score on all parts of the Florida State Construction examination.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Meet the educational/experience requirements.
- Be of good moral character.
- Pay all applicable fees.
- Obtain worker’s compensation coverage.
- Demonstrate financial responsibility.
How much does it cost to get a Florida Certified Plumbing Contractor license?
Applicants Registering for Business & Financial Management and Trade Knowledge or Business & Financial Management and/or Contract Administration and/or Project Management
- $135.00 Registration Fee Payable to Professional Testing, Inc.
- $80.00 Exam Administration Payable to the Florida DBPR
- $80.00 Business and Financial Management computer-based test (CBT) with Pearson VUE.
Initial certification Fees:
- Applying for initial certification between May 1st of an even year through August 31st of an odd year - $249. OR
- Applying for initial certification between September 1st of an odd year through April 30th of an even year - $149.
- Make check payable to the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation
$544.00 on even years
$444.00 on odd years
Is there a test required to get a Florida Certified Plumbing Contractor license?
Yes, Florida Plumbing Certified Contractors will be required to complete the Business and Financial Management Exam and the Florida Plumbing Contractor Exam.
What code is the Florida Certified Plumber test based on?
2017 Florida Building Code – Plumbing, Sixth Edition
Are Florida Certified Plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
Yes, the Business and Financial Management Exam
Where can I take the Florida Certified Plumbers Business & Law license exam?
The Business & Finance Exam is a computer based exam taken at Pearson-Vue computer centers which are located across the nation. You apply to PTI (www.floridaexam.com). Once you are in the state’s system from your application, you can then schedule your exam time/date with Pearson-Vue.
Where can I take the Florida Certified Plumbers Techinical exam?
The Technical Exams (Trade Knowledge) for Plumbing contractors are “pen and pencil” administered by the state in Orlando or Kissimee every other month. All other categories are also computer based exams, scheduled like the Business & Finance Exam. February, April, June, August, October, and December
How many questions are on the examinations?
- Business and finance Examination Bulletin – click here.
The Business and Financial Management Examination is composed of 120 questions (Service Pool candidates will have 60 questions). It will be administered in one session via computer.
- Plumbing Contractors Examination Bulletin – click here.
The General Trade Knowledge examination will be administered in two sessions. The morning session will consist of 45 equally weighted questions and 5 isometric drawings. The isometric drawings will be worth 10 points each. The afternoon session will consist of 65 equally weighted questions. Your scores for the morning and afternoon sessions will be combined to determine your total score for this examination.
What can I expect from your Florida Certified plumber exam prep?
INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Practice Tests
- OSHA Safety
- Reading and Understanding the PearsonVue Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
What should I bring to the Florida Plumber exam?
Two (2) forms of signature identification, one of which bears your picture, signature and is government issued: driver’s license, state identification card, passport or military identification card. YOU MUST BE PREPARED TO SHOW PROPER I.D. TO GAIN ADMISSION TO THE TEST SITE.
Note: Student, employment I.D. cards and photo bearing credit cards are not acceptable as a picture bearing identification. Make sure your name and address are the same as provided on your application.
Bring your admission slip to the test site. You will be required to show it to gain entry to an examination room. If you have NOT received your admission slip within seven (7) business days of your scheduled examination, contact the vendor at 407.264.0562 or fax: 407.264.2977
What are the examination fees for the Florida Certified Plumbing Contractor license in Florida?
The examination fee for the Business and Financial Management Examination is $135.00 payable to Professional Testing Inc. (PTI) and $80.00 payable directly to the vendor, Pearson VUE, by the candidate at the time the exam is scheduled.
If you do not pass the exam, you must complete a retake application with PTI, pay the examination fee of $135.00 and pay the examination administration fee of $80.00 to Pearson VUE when rescheduling. There is a 21-day waiting period between successive attempts.
After applying, along with the $135 application fee to Professional Testing Inc. (PTI), candidates can schedule both the Trade Knowledge and Business & Finance examinations with Pearson VUE. An $80 per part administration fee must be paid to Pearson VUE at the time of scheduling.
Are there exceptions for Military Veterans, their Spouses or Florida National Guard members?
Yes, experience gained in the military may be used toward the requirements for licensure. Please complete the Veteran Fee Waiver and Military Service Verification Form and submit it along with your application for licensure. Military veterans, their spouses, and Florida National Guard members may be eligible for a fee waiver, fee reimbursement, and/or fee discount. Please visit the DBPR Military Services page for more information.
How do I know if I passed the Florida Plumber exam?
All candidates will receive an official photo-bearing exam result report immediately following completion of their examination. Please verify that ALL information is correct on your exam result report before leaving the Test Center. Pencil & Paper candidates, you will receive a grade report on-site after you complete the last part of your written examination for which you were scheduled.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
If you need to make special testing accommodations due to a disability, you must submit a written request to the Special Testing Coordinator prior to each exam. Do not submit your accommodation request with your exam application: it must be sent directly to;
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
Bureau of Education and Testing
Special Testing Coordinator
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0791
How often do I have to renew my plumbing license in Florida?
- Registered plumbing contractors renew their licenses by August 31 of odd-numbered years.
- Certified plumbing contractors renew their licenses by August 31 of even-numbered years.
The cost to renew is $209, plus $50 per qualified business.
How do I renew my Certified Contractor Plumbers License?
To renew your license, you will need to create an account with the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation website and complete the renewal process. Click here for the steps to create your account.
Biennial License Renewal Fee
Certified Contractor = $209 *
Registered Contractor = $209 *
* Includes $5 Unlicensed Activity fee and a fee of $4 which must be transferred to the Department of Community Affairs to fund projects relating to the building construction industry or continuing education programs offered to persons engaged in the building construction industry in Florida.
How many hours of Continuing Education do I need?
14 hours board-approved continuing education is required each biennium prior to the renewal period for both certified and registered contractors. At least 1 hour must deal with workplace safety, 1 hour on the subject of worker's compensation, 1 hour on the subject of business practices, 1 hour on the subject of laws and rules and 1 hour on Florida Building Code advanced modules.
A person who holds more than one certificate or registration issued by the board is required to complete the continuing education requirements only once during each biennial certification renewal period and only once during each biennial registration period.
Does Florida offer reciprocity with other States?
Florida does not offer reciprocity with other States at this time.
Who do I contact regarding a plumbing license in Florida?
Division of Professions
Construction Industry Licensing Board
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783