Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Hawaii?
To perform plumbing work in Hawaii, a plumber's license is required by law. The plumbing license, however, does not allow you to contract to perform plumbing work. You'll need a separate contractor’s license if this is the intent. The plumbing licenses available are for master plumber and journeyman worker plumber. To work as a licensed plumber, you'll require a journey worker plumber license. To operate a plumbing business, you'll need a master plumber license.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Hawaii?
How do I get my Journeyman Worker Plumbing license in Hawaii?
- Meet state requirements
- Complete 5 years (not less than 10,000 hours) of plumbing work in compliance with the Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC)
- Complete a Journeyman Plumber Application Online or call (808) 586-3000
- Pay the $40 application fee - Once the Board approves your application, you will be sent a notice of approval with an exam registration form.
- Submit your exam registration form and the ($90) exam fee to Prometric by the deadline date.
In return, you will receive an admission letter and exam appointment
- Prepare for your exam
- Present your admission letter and required identification; then take the exam
- After passing your exam, you will need to submit your license fees to the Board.
- If licensed between July 1st & June 30th of the 1st year of the cycle (2021, 2024) - $306
- If licensed between July 1st & June 30th of the 2nd year of the cycle (2019, 2022, 2025) - $204
- If licensed between July 1st & June 30th of the 3rd year of the cycle (2023, 2026, 2029) - $102
What code is the Hawaii plumbing test based on?
2006 Uniform Plumbing Code
What are the examination fees for a Journeyman worker plumbers’ license in Hawaii?
Application fee of $40.00
Exam Fee $90.00
What does your Hawaii plumber exam prep cover?
- General Regulations
- Plumbing Math
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Hands-On Practical Application
What can I expect from the Hawaii Journeyman worker plumbing exam?
Number of Questions 100
Time allowed (hours) 3
General Knowledge - 25 Questions
Water Supply Systems - 20 Questions
Drainage, Waste, Sanitary Vents - 20 Questions
Size and Estimating - 10 Questions
Medical and Fuel Gas Systems - 10 Questions
Indirect and Special Waste - 10 Questions
Building Sewers - 5 Questions
Is the Hawaii plumber exam open book?
NO. The Hawaii Journeyman Plumber Exam is closed book.
What should I bring to the Hawaii plumber exams?
Your admission letter from Prometric.
A current, valid, government-issued photo identification, such as a passport or driver’s license.
Two sharpened No. 2 pencils.
A silent, nonprinting, nonprogrammable calculator.
Where can I take the Hawaii plumber exam?
There are several locations where the Prometric exam is administered. Location options will be sent with the approval letter.
How do I know if I passed the Hawaii plumber exam?
A score report will be mailed to you approximately 10 business days after your exam date.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
If you require testing accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), please call Prometric at 808.261.8182 to obtain an accommodation request form. This form must be submitted, along with written professional verification of your disability, before you schedule your exam. Reasonable testing accommodations are provided to allow candidates with documented disabilities recognized under the ADA an opportunity to demonstrate their skills and knowledge.
Does Hawaii offer reciprocity for plumbing licenses?
Who issues Hawaii plumbing licenses?
State of Hawaii Board of Electricians and Plumbers
P.O. Box 3469
Honolulu, HI 96801