Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Mississippi?
If you are doing work that amounts to more than $10,000 you must hold a valid plumber license. You do not need a license if you are doing plumbing (public or private) that amounts to less than $50,000 per project.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Mississippi?
- Unlimited Commercial
- Unlimited Residential
How do I get a plumbing license in Mississippi?
- Fill out a commercial contractor License form. Go to page 8 and check the specialty box and write in Plumbing as the specialty. Fill out the rest of the form as required.
- Fill out a residential contractor license form.
Once you complete the appropriate application and return it to the Board, they will notify PSI of your eligibility and PSI will email you a confirmation notice. The Board will determine which examination you or your qualifying individual will take.
You will have six (6) months from the date of eligibility to take the examination and you can retake it as many times as you need to during the six-month period. After six months, you must reapply with the Board.
What can I expect from the Mississippi plumbing exams?
Business & Law Exam
Number of Questions: 50
Time Allotted: 120 Minutes
Percent Required to Pass: 70%
- 5 Questions - Licensing
- 7 Questions - Estimating and Bidding
- 1 Question - Lien Law
- 5 Questions - Financial Management
- 5 Questions - Tax Laws
- 5 Questions - Labor Laws
- 5 Questions - Project Management
- 6 Questions - Contracts
- 2 Questions - Business Organization
- 4 Questions - Risk Management
- 5 Questions - Environmental & Safety
Plumbing Contractor Exam
Number of Questions: 70
Time Allotted: 180 Minutes
Percent Required to Pass: 70%
- 4 Questions - General Plumbing Regulations
- 4 Questions - Safety
- 4 Questions - Cleanouts
- 5 Questions - Fixtures & Equipment
- 2 Questions - Water Heaters
- 3 Questions - Hangers, and Supports
- 15 Questions - Drain, Waste, and Vent
- 3 Questions - Backflow
- 4 Questions - Traps & Interceptors
- 2 Questions - Developed Length
- 12 Questions - Isometric Analysis
- 3 Questions - Joints & Connections
What does your Mississippi plumbing exam prep cover?
Business & Law
- Estimating and Bidding
- Financial Management
- Tax Laws
- Employee Management
- Project Management
- Business Organization
- Risk Management
- Jobsite Safety and Environmental Factors
Commercial & Residential Prep
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- IStorm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Master Plumber Isometrics
- Practice Tests
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
Is the Mississippi plumbing exam open book?
Yes, the 2012 International Plumbing Code is approved reference.
What if I have special needs?
If you have a disability that prohibits you from taking the examination under standard conditions, you may request special arrangements. Your request must accompany your registration form. In addition to the letter of request, a special accommodations form must be submitted. This form may be obtained by contacting the Candidate Services Coordinator at email@example.com or 1-888-422-7233 ext 5552. Please contact the department for instructions concerning the required information before you submit your application. Completed accommodations forms must be submitted and approved by the examination department a minimum of three months prior to the requested examination administration date.
What should I bring to the Mississippi plumber exam?
You must take two forms of identification
- One must be a valid form of government-issued identification (driver’s license, state ID, passport) which bears your signature and has your photograph.
- The second ID must have your signature and preprinted legal name
- NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management – Mississippi, 4th Edition
- International Plumbing Code 2012
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA), with latest available amendments, U.S. Government Printing Office, (866) 512-1800 or https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owastand.display_standard_group?p_toc_level=1&p_part_number=1926
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 Selections by PSI, with latest available amendments, (866) 589-3088, www.psionlinestore.com (See order form at the end of the Candidate Information Bulletin.)
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, Lee Smith, 8th Edition, 2013, cengage.com
Where can I take the Mississippi Plumber exam?
Plumbing licensing exams can be taken at:
Jackson Exam Center
2679 Crane Ridge Dr., Suite B
Jackson, MS 39216
You can take exam regionally located sites found in:
- Louisiana: Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport
- Alabama: Huntsville, Birmingham, Montgomery, and Mobile
Does Mississippi offer reciprocity for plumbing licenses?
The Mississippi State Board of Contractors has reciprocal agreements with
- Arkansas Contractors Board
- Georgia Board of Residential and General Contractors
- Louisiana Contractors Board
- North Carolina Electrical Contractors Board
- South Carolina Contractors Board
- Tennessee Contractors Board
If you have held a license in one of these states for three consecutive years, the board may waive your trade exam. But the Mississippi Law and Business Management exam is mandatory. Reciprocity applies to the waiver of the trade exam requirement only. It does not waive any of the other application requirements or review by the Board.
In order for the Mississippi State Board of Contractors to consider an applicant for reciprocity, the following requirements must be met:
- The applicant must show proof of current licensure with one of the boards referenced above by providing a completed verification form. The applicant must have held the license for 3 consecutive years and be free of any disciplinary action taken against it during the 3-year time frame.
- The applicant must complete and submit an application with all required documentation and fees to the Mississippi State Board of Contractors.(applicant must complete part 1 of the verification form and mail to one of the above-named states to complete part 2.)
Is there any way to be waived from the Mississippi plumbing exam?
The Board may waive your trade exam but not the mandatory Mississippi Law and Business Management exam.
How do I renew my Mississippi plumber license?
You can renew your license online here.
You can fill the commercial License Renewal Form here and mail the form with a check or money order payable to MSBOC in the amount of $400 before the expiration date indicated on your license. If your license has expired the fee is $450. Fees are non-refundable.
You can fill the residential license renewal form here and mail the form with a check or money order made payable to MSBOC in the amount of $100 before the expiration date indicated on your license. If your license has expired the fee is $110.
If your license has been expired for more than 180 days, you must submit a new application. TO obtain a new application go to www.msboc.us.
Do I need continuing education to maintain my Mississippi plumber license?
No, continued education is not a requirement for plumbers in Mississippi.
How often do I have to renew my Mississippi plumber license?
Licenses expire annually on the last day of the twelfth month following its issuance or renewal and will be invalid if not renewed.
Who issues the Mississippi plumbing exam?
Mississippi Contractor Licensing Board
P.O. Box 32039
2679 Crane Ridge Drive, Suite C
Jackson, MS 39216