Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Ohio?
Individuals must be licensed to perform any type of plumbing work without a licensed supervisor.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Ohio?
What code is the Ohio plumber test based on?
- Ohio Plumbing Code, 2017, International Code Council
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2015, International Code
Are Ohio plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
How do I get a Plumbing Contractor license in Ohio?
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a United States citizen or a legal alien must provide proof of being a legal alien.
- Either have been a tradesperson in the type of licensed trade for which the application is filed for not less than five (5) years immediately prior to the date the application is filed, currently be a registered engineer in this state with three (3) years of business experience in the construction industry in the trade for which the engineer is applying to take the examination, or have other experience acceptable to the appropriate section of the board.
- Never have been convicted of a disqualifying offense as defined in S.B. 337.
- Pass the examination in the trade.
- Carry minimum $500,000 contractor liability coverage.
- Pay the applicable fees.
What are the examination fees for the plumbers’ license in Ohio?
What are the plumbing licensing fees in Ohio?
$25 application fee
What can I expect with the Ohio plumbing exam?
All contractor license classifications must take the Business and Law exam in addition to any required trade-specific exam.
Business and Law Exam
- 2 Questions - Business Org
- 3 Questions - Licensing
- 8 Questions - Estimating and Bidding
- 5 Questions - Contract Management
- 4 Questions - Project Management
- 5 Questions - Insurance and Bonding
- 5 Questions - OSHA Record Keeping and Safety
- 5 Questions - Personnel Regulations
- 6 Questions - Financial Management
- 5 Questions - Tax Laws
- 2 Questions - Lien Laws
- 5 Questions - Pretest Items
Plumbing Contractor Exam
- 8 Questions - General Knowledge
- 20 Questions - General Regulations
- 6 Questions - Plumbing Fixtures
- 10 Questions - Water Supply Systems
- 24 Questions - Drainage, Waste, and Sanitary Vents
- 3 Questions - Indirect Wastes
- 4 Questions - Roof Drain Piping
- 5 Questions - Specialty Plumbing
- 20 Questions - Isometric Analysis
- 1 Question - Pretest Item
What will your Ohio Plumbing Contractor exam prep cover?
- Business Organization
- Estimating and Bidding
- Project Management
- Insurance and Bonding
- OSHA Safety
- Personnel Regulations
- Financial Management
- Tax Laws
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- IPC Chapter 2 - Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Practice Tests
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
What should I bring to the Ohio plumber exam?
- State issued driver’s license
- A state-issued identification card
- US Government Issued Passport
- US Government Issued Military Identification Card
- US Government Issued Alien Registration Card
- Canadian Government Issued NOTE: ID must contain candidate’s photo, be valid and unexpired.Secondary
- Credit Card (must be signed)
- Social Security Card
- US issued Birth Certificate with Raised SealNOTE: Student ID and employment ID are NOT acceptable forms of identification.
- A non-programmable silent calculator that does not have printing capabilities or an alphabet keyboard.
- Ohio Plumbing Code, 2017, International Code Council
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2015, International Code Council
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, 8th Edition, 2013
- Modern Plumbing, 7th Edition, 2010, Goodheart-Willcox Company, Inc
Where can I take the Ohio plumbers license exam?
1815 West Market Street, Suite 101
Akron, OH 44313
1300 Clark Street, Suite #4
Cambridge, OH 43725
4000 Executive Park Dr., Suite 105
Cincinnati, OH 45241
7029 Pearl Rd, Suite 320
Middleburg Heights, OH 44130
6397 Emerald Pkwy, Suite 150
Dublin, OH 43017
6431 Alum Creek Dr., Suite I
Groveport, OH 43125
1446 S. Reynolds Road, Suite 201
Maumee, OH 43537
1100 Wayne Street, Suite 3330
Troy, OH 45373
How do I know if I passed the Ohio plumber exam?
Your examination result will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. You will receive a printed score report marked “pass” or “fail”. The fail score report will include diagnostic information. Candidates may use the diagnostic report as a guide for studying before their next test administration.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
All PSI examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and exam accommodations will be made in meeting a candidate's needs. A candidate with a disability or a candidate who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination must complete the Exam Accommodation Request Form at the end of this Candidate Information Bulletin and must fax it to PSI (702) 932-2666 or email it to PSI at email@example.com. This form also includes out-of-state testing requests.
Is there any way to be waived from the plumbing examination?
How often do I have to renew by plumbing license in Ohio?
You only have to pass the Business and Law examination once every three years.
If I am licensed in another State, do I still have to get an Ohio Plumbing License?
Yes. Tennessee and South Carolina may apply for a reciprocal license
Who do I contact regarding a plumbing license in Ohio?
Ohio Department of Commerce
Division of Industrial Compliance
Ohio Construction Industry Licensing Board (OCILB)
6606 Tussing Road
P.O. Box 4009
Reynoldsburg, OH 43068-9009
Phone (614) 644-3493