Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Rhode Island?
- Assembles pipe sections, tubing, and fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, and welding equipment.
- Cuts openings in structures to accommodate pipes and pipe fittings, using hand and power tools.
- Fills pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observe pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Hangs steel supports from ceiling joists to hold pipes in place.
- Installs pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters, and fixtures such as sinks and toilets, using hand and power tools.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Rhode Island?
- Apprentice Plumber
- Journeyperson Plumber
- Master Plumber
How do I get a Journeyperson plumbing license in Rhode Island?
- Meet State Requirements
- Provide proof of being a registered apprentice plumber for the previous four years with 8,000 hours of on the job training during a 5-year period, including 576 hours of training at a state-approved training program.
- Submit an application with the fee of $75,
- Pass the Rhode Island Journeyman Plumber Exam - Start with exam prep
What code is the Rhode Island plumber test based on?
Rhode Island State Building Building Code SBC-3 State Plumbing code effective July 1, 2013.
Are Rhode Island plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
Does this course have specific information for Rhode Island plumbers?
What can I expect from the Rhode Island journeyperson plumbing exam?
The examination to be administered consists of 50 multiple choice questions based on the Rhode Island Edition of the "BOCA International Plumbing Code 2006" and the RI Edition of the State Building Code SBC-3 State Plumbing code effective July 1, 2013.
Subject matter covered by the test includes
- Terminology and Calculations,
- Materials and Material Standards,
- Joints and Connections,
- Traps and Cleanouts,
- Plumbing Fixtures,
- Hangers and Supports,
- Indirect Waste Piping,
- Water Distribution Systems,
- Sanitary Drainage Systems,
- Vents and Venting Systems,
- Cross Connections,
- Storm Drains,
- Related Subjects and
- Inspecting and Testing
What does your Rhode Island plumber exam prep cover?
- Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- General Regulations
- Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- Water Heaters
- Water Supply and Distribution
- Sanitary Drainage
- Indirect and Special Waste
- Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- Storm Drainage
- Nonpotable Water Systems
- Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Practice Test
- Reading and Understanding the Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
Is the Rhode Island plumber exam open book?
Where can I take the Rhode Island plumber exam?
RI Department of Labor and Training
Building 73-1, Conference Room
1511 Pontiac Avenue, Cranston, RI 02920-0943
(401) 462-8580, Option #4
Does Rhode Island offer reciprocity for plumbing licenses?
Yes, a master plumber or a journeyperson plumber duly licensed by examination in a state(s) other than Rhode Island, may be issued a license in this state provided that the requirements are the same as this state specifying that person as a journeyperson plumber. provided, further that:
- The applicant submits a copy of his or her current license;
- The Board of Plumbing or Irrigation in each state in which the applicant holds or has held licensure submits to the Board of this State a statement attesting to the licensure status of the applicant during the period the applicant held licensure in said state(s);
- The applicant submits affidavits of having successfully passed a written examination for licensure in the state in which he or she holds current licensure and that such examination was for the classification for which the applicant is seeking licensure in this state; and
- The applicant has successfully passed in this state a written examination approved by the Board in the classification for which the applicant is seeking licensure
Is there any way to be waved from the Rhode Island plumbing exam?
How do I know if I passed the Rhode Island plumber exam?
You can check your exam results here: https://www.ri.gov/DLT/testscore/. Your score will also be mailed to you within the week.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
Exams are accessible to the handicapped. Individuals requesting interpreter services for the hearing impaired must notify Professional Regulation at (401) 462-8580 at least three business days in advance of the examination date.
How do I renew my Rhode Island plumber license?
- Licenses are renewed online
- Enter your identification information
- Follow the steps provided
- Pay the appropriate fee
Master Plumber-$240 | Journeyperson Plumber-$72
What are the renewal fees for my Rhode Island journeyperson plumber license?
- Journeyperson Plumber - $72
Do I need continuing education to maintain my Rhode Island plumber license?
How often do I have to renew my Rhode Island plumber license?
Licenses must be renewed every the two years on the anniversary of licensure.
Who issues the Rhode Island plumbing license?
Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training
Division of Workforce Regulation and Safety Professional Regulation
Unit 1511 Pontiac Avenue,
PO Box 20247
Cranston, RI 02920-0943
Phone (401) 462-8580
Fax (401) 462-8528