Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in South Carolina?
Any individual doing plumbing work in South Carolina.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in South Carolina?
Residential Specialty Contractor Plumbing License
Commercial Contractor License - Required for jobs over $5,000
How do I get a Commercial Contractor plumbing license in South Carolina?
- To apply for a license, download the following:
- The PSI Candidate Information Bulletin (PSI 800-733-9267)
- Initial application, Doc #165
- A financial statement is required. For general contractor's not bidding jobs over $100,000 or mechanical contractors not bidding jobs over $30,000, download the financial statement balance sheet, Doc #172. For larger jobs, an accountant must prepare your financials (see Doc #165 for more information).
2. In the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin, select your exams and submit the registration form to them.
- You must take a technical exam
- You must take the Business Management and Law exam
- Study material resources can be found on page 3 of the Candidate Information Bulletin
3. After registering, you will receive an Eligibility Letter from PSI. Call the number at the bottom of the letter and schedule an appointment at the testing site of your choice.
4. After you have passed both the PSI technical exam and Business Management & Law exam, submit the following to the SC Contractor’s Licensing Board:
- Application, Doc #165 (entire application/all pages must be completed)
- PSI technical exam score sheet
- PSI Business Management & Law score sheet
- Financial Statement (use Doc #172 for Groups 1 & 2 only; for Groups 3-5 use an accountant)
- If you have registered your corporation, partnership, LLC with the S.C. Secretary of State, attach a copy of the certificate (optional)
- License Fee
What are the examination fees for a commercial plumbers license in South Carolina?
For both the Business and Law and Plumbing, $90. For just one, $75
What are the plumbing licensing fees in South Carolina?
- $$350 if the license is issued on or between July 1, odd-numbered year to June 30, even-numbered year
- $175 if the license is issued on or between July 1, even-numbered year to June 30, odd-numbered year
What code is the South Carolina commercial plumber test based on?
South Carolina International Plumbing Code OR International Plumbing Code, 2015 edition
Are South Carolina commercial plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
What can I expect from the South Carolina plumbing exams?
Business Management and Law
50 Questions | 120 Minutes
You must answer 34 questions correctly to pass
- 2 Questions – Business Management
- 10 Questions – Estimating and Bidding
- 12 Questions – Contracts and Agreements
- 5 Questions – Project Management
- 2 Questions – Insurance and Bonding
- 1 Question – Safety Recordkeeping and Reporting
- 3 Questions – Labor Laws and Employment Regulations
- 7 Questions – Financial Management
- 3 Questions – Tax Laws
- 3 Questions – Liens
- 2 Questions – Environmental Laws and Regulations
80 Questions | 4 Hours
You must answer 56 questions correctly to pass.
- 1 Question – ADA Accessibility
- 6 Questions – General Plumbing Knowledge
- 3 Questions – General Plumbing Regulations
- 2 Questions – Hangers and Supports
- 2 Questions – Materials
- 3 Questions – Joints and Connections
- 3 Questions – Fixtures and Equipment
- 4 Questions – Water Heaters
- 3 Questions – Water Supply and Distribution
- 1 Question – Backflow Prevention
- 4 Questions – Sanitary Drainage Systems
- 2 Questions – Cleanouts
- 2 Question – Indirect and Special Waste
- 6 Questions – Sanitary Venting
- 3 Questions – Traps and Interceptors
- 2 Questions – Storm Piping Systems
- 5 Questions – Plumbing – Developed Length
- 10 Questions – DWV Isometric Analysis (Isometric Based)
- 4 Questions – Water Supply Isometric Analysis
- 3 Questions – Roof Drain Isometric Analysis
- 1 Question – Pipe Assembly
- 1 Question – Valves
- 3 Questions – General Fuel Knowledge
- 3 Questions – Natural Gas
- 3 Questions – LP - Gas
NOTE: All Plumber - Commercial Contractor candidates are required to pass the Business Management and Law for Contractors Examination and the Plumber Examination.
What does your South Carolina plumber exam prep cover?
Business Law for Contractors
- Business Management
- Licensing Laws and Rules
- Estimating and Bidding
- Contracts and Agreements
- Project Management
- Insurance and Bonding
- Safety Recordkeeping and Reporting
- Labor Laws and Employment Regulations
- Financial Management
- Environmental Factors
- Tax Law
- Lien Laws
International Plumbing Code
- IPC Chapter 1 - Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- IPC Chapter 2 - Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- IPC Chapter 3 - General Regulations
- IPC Chapter 4 - Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- IPC Chapter 5 - Water Heaters
- IPC Chapter 6 - Water Supply and Distribution
- IPC Chapter 7 - Sanitary Drainage
- IPC Chapter 8 - Indirect and Special Waste
- IPC Chapter 9 - Vents
- IPC Chapter 10 - Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- IPC Chapter 11 - Storm Drainage
- IPC Chapter 13 - Nonpotable Water Systems
- IPC Chapter 14 - Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Master Plumber Isometrics
- Practice Test
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
Is the South Carolina commercial plumber exam open book?
What should I bring to the South Carolina commercial plumber exams?
- State issued driver’s license
- A state-issued identification card
- US Government Issued Passport
- US Government Issued Military Identification Card
- US Government Issued Alien Registration Card
- Canadian Government Issued NOTE: ID must contain candidate’s photo, be valid and unexpired.Secondary
- Credit Card (must be signed)
- Social Security Card
- U.S. issued Birth Certificate with Raised SealNOTE: Student ID and employment ID are NOT acceptable forms of identification.
Candidates may also bring a non-programmable silent calculator that does not have printing capabilities or an alphabet keyboard.
- South Carolina International Plumbing Code Or International Plumbing Code, 2015 Edition icc.org
- South Carolina International Fuel Gas Code Or International Fuel Gas Code, 2015 Edition icc.org
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, 8th Edition, Lee Smith cengage.com
- South Carolina 811 Excavator Manual, Latest Edition, https://sc811.com/excavator-manual/
Where can I take the South Carolina commercial plumber exam?
Park East, Anderson Building
150 Executive Center Drive, Suite 218
Greenville, South Carolina 29615
Synergy Business Park
121 Executive Center Drive, Suite 143
Columbia, South Carolina 29210
4600 Goer Drive, Suite 112A
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
Regions Bank Building
69 Robert Smalls Pky/SC-170, Unit 4D
Beaufort, South Carolina 29906
1601 North Oak Street, Suite 305
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29577
Tyvola Executive Park 1
5701 Westpark Dr, #202
Charlotte, NC 28217
How do I know if I passed the South Carolina commercial plumber exam?
Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. The following summary describes the score reporting process:
- On-screen - Your score will appear immediately on the computer screen. This will happen automatically at the end of the time allowed for the examination; if you are using review features, you will be able to obtain your score immediately when you indicate that you have finished and would like to see your results.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on the screen.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful notification on the screen along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by examination type.
- On Paper - An official result report will be printed at the examination center.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the South Carolina commercial plumbing licensing exam?
All examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and exam accommodations will be made in meeting a candidate's needs. Applicants with disabilities or those who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination should request for alternative arrangements with PSI. Requests for any exam accommodations may be made by submitting the Exam Accommodations Request Form found at the end of this bulletin.
Does South Carolina offer reciprocity for commercial plumbing licenses?
Yes. However, you must take the Business and law exam. Reciprocity with TN, OH, NC
Is there any way to be waved from the South Carolina commercial plumbing exam?
Yes. A Residential Plumbing license can be obtained without examination if the applicant is licensed as an SC Mechanical Contractor by exam with a plumbing classification or has taken the Master Plumbing exam with the South Carolina Municipal Association (MASC), you will, however, be required to take and pass the SC Residential Business Management and Law Exam. All applicants must submit a completed Residential Plumbing license application with documentation of an SC Mechanical Contractors license or the Master plumbing exam from the Municipal Association, with all fees and a $10,000 surety bond (if the project exceeds $5000 labor and materials added together) for review by the Residential Builders Commission.
How do I renew my South Carolina plumber license?
- Log in to the Online Services Portal
- Pay the $135 renewal fee
What are the renewal fees for my South Carolina plumber license?
Do I need continuing education to maintain my South Carolina plumber license?
Who issues the South Carolina plumbing license?
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation
110 Centerview Dr.