Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in South Carolina?
Any individual doing plumbing work in South Carolina.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in South Carolina?
Residential Specialty Contractor Plumbing License
Commercial Contractor License - Required for jobs over $5,000
How do I get my Residential Specialty plumbing license in South Carolina?
- Submit the completed Residential Specialty Plumbing Contractor application form to the Residential Builders Commission
The form can be completed online or by mail.
Once a Residential Plumbing application is approved by the Residential Builders Commission staff an Examination Eligibility Letter will be mailed to the applicant.
- Pass the Business and Law exam and the Residential Plumbing exam within one year of exam eligibility. You are only allowed 3 attempts
- After you have passed the Residential Plumbing exam and the Business Management and Law exam you must submit the following information to the Residential Builders Commission staff:
- A copy of your test results from PSI testing services.
- A certified check or money order made payable to LLR-Residential Builders Commission in the amount of $160.00 if the licensed issued is for more than twelve (12) months before the next renewal date. If the license is to be issued for twelve (12) months or less before the next renewal date a certified check or money order made payable to LLR-Residential Builders Commission in the amount of $80.00.
- A surety bond in the amount of $10,000 (original bond signed by the applicant with the power of attorney attached) if you intend to do work over $5000.00 total cost of the project (labor and materials included) the bond must be issued in the individual applicants name listed as principal and not in a company or business name.
What are the examination fees for the plumbers’ license in South Carolina?
For both the Business and Law and Plumbing, $90. For just one, $75
What are the plumbing licensing fees in South Carolina?
- $160 if the license is issued on or between July 1, odd-numbered year to June 30, even-numbered year
- $80 if the license is issued on or between July 1, even-numbered year to June 30, odd-numbered year
What code is the South Carolina plumber test based on?
South Carolina International Plumbing Code OR International Plumbing Code, 2018 edition
Are South Carolina plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
What can I expect from the South Carolina plumbing exams?
Business Management and Law
50 Questions | 120 Minutes
You must answer 34 questions correctly to pass
- 2 Questions – Business Management
- 10 Questions – Estimating and Bidding
- 12 Questions – Contracts and Agreements
- 5 Questions – Project Management
- 2 Questions – Insurance and Bonding
- 1 Question – Safety Recordkeeping and Reporting
- 3 Questions – Labor Laws and Employment Regulations
- 7 Questions – Financial Management
- 3 Questions – Tax Laws
- 3 Questions – Liens
- 2 Questions – Environmental Laws and Regulations
80 Questions | 4 Hours
You must answer 56 questions correctly to pass.
- 1 Question – ADA Accessibility
- 6 Questions – General Plumbing Knowledge
- 3 Questions – General Plumbing Regulations
- 2 Questions – Hangers and Supports
- 2 Questions – Materials
- 3 Questions – Joints and Connections
- 3 Questions – Fixtures and Equipment
- 4 Questions – Water Heaters
- 3 Questions – Water Supply and Distribution
- 1 Question – Backflow Prevention
- 4 Questions – Sanitary Drainage Systems
- 2 Questions – Cleanouts
- 2 Question – Indirect and Special Waste
- 6 Questions – Sanitary Venting
- 3 Questions – Traps and Interceptors
- 2 Questions – Storm Piping Systems
- 5 Questions – Plumbing – Developed Length
- 10 Questions – DWV Isometric Analysis (Isometric Based)
- 4 Questions – Water Supply Isometric Analysis
- 3 Questions – Roof Drain Isometric Analysis
- 1 Question – Pipe Assembly
- 1 Question – Valves
- 3 Questions – General Fuel Knowledge
- 3 Questions – Natural Gas
- 3 Questions – LP - Gas
NOTE: All Plumber - Commercial Contractor candidates are required to pass the Business Management and Law for Contractors Examination and the Plumber Examination.
What does your South Carolina plumber exam prep cover?
Business Law for Contractors
- Business Management
- Licensing Laws and Rules
- Estimating and Bidding
- Contracts and Agreements
- Project Management
- Insurance and Bonding
- Safety Recordkeeping and Reporting
- Labor Laws and Employment Regulations
- Financial Management
- Environmental Factors
- Tax Law
- Lien Laws
International Plumbing Code
- IPC Chapter 1 - Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- IPC Chapter 2 - Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- IPC Chapter 3 - General Regulations
- IPC Chapter 4 - Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- IPC Chapter 5 - Water Heaters
- IPC Chapter 6 - Water Supply and Distribution
- IPC Chapter 7 - Sanitary Drainage
- IPC Chapter 8 - Indirect and Special Waste
- IPC Chapter 9 - Vents
- IPC Chapter 10 - Traps, Interceptors, and Separators
- IPC Chapter 11 - Storm Drainage
- IPC Chapter 13 - Nonpotable Water Systems
- IPC Chapter 14 - Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Master Plumber Isometrics
- Practice Test
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
Is the South Carolina plumber exam open book?
What should I bring to the South Carolina plumber exams?
- State issued driver’s license
- A state-issued identification card
- US Government Issued Passport
- US Government Issued Military Identification Card
- US Government Issued Alien Registration Card
- Canadian Government Issued NOTE: ID must contain candidate’s photo, be valid and unexpired.Secondary
- Credit Card (must be signed)
- Social Security Card
- U.S. issued Birth Certificate with Raised SealNOTE: Student ID and employment ID are NOT acceptable forms of identification.
Candidates may also bring a non-programmable silent calculator that does not have printing capabilities or an alphabet keyboard.
- South Carolina International Plumbing Code Or International Plumbing Code, 2015 Edition icc.org
- South Carolina International Fuel Gas Code Or International Fuel Gas Code, 2015 Edition icc.org
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, 8th Edition, Lee Smith cengage.com
- South Carolina 811 Excavator Manual, Latest Edition, https://sc811.com/excavator-manual/
Where can I take the South Carolina plumber exam?
Park East, Anderson Building
150 Executive Center Drive, Suite 218
Greenville, South Carolina 29615
Synergy Business Park
121 Executive Center Drive, Suite 143
Columbia, South Carolina 29210
4600 Goer Drive, Suite 112A
North Charleston, South Carolina 29406
Regions Bank Building
69 Robert Smalls Pky/SC-170, Unit 4D
Beaufort, South Carolina 29906
1601 North Oak Street, Suite 305
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina 29577
Tyvola Executive Park 1
5701 Westpark Dr, #202
Charlotte, NC 28217
How do I know if I passed the South Carolina plumber exam?
Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. The following summary describes the score reporting process:
- On-screen - Your score will appear immediately on the computer screen. This will happen automatically at the end of the time allowed for the examination; if you are using review features, you will be able to obtain your score immediately when you indicate that you have finished and would like to see your results.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on the screen.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful notification on the screen along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by examination type.
- On Paper - An official result report will be printed at the examination center.
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
All examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and exam accommodations will be made in meeting a candidate's needs. Applicants with disabilities or those who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination should request for alternative arrangements with PSI. Requests for any exam accommodations may be made by submitting the Exam Accommodations Request Form found at the end of this bulletin.
Does South Carolina offer reciprocity for plumbing licenses?
On a case by case basis. A reciprocity application must be submitted and approved by the board. Contact state for application.
Is there any way to be waved from the South Carolina plumbing exam?
Yes. A Residential Plumbing license can be obtained without examination if the applicant is licensed as an SC Mechanical Contractor by exam with a plumbing classification or has taken the Master Plumbing exam with the South Carolina Municipal Association (MASC), you will, however, be required to take and pass the SC Residential Business Management and Law Exam. All applicants must submit a completed Residential Plumbing license application with documentation of an SC Mechanical Contractors license or the Master plumbing exam from the Municipal Association, with all fees and a $10,000 surety bond (if the project exceeds $5000 labor and materials added together) for review by the Residential Builders Commission.
How do I renew my South Carolina plumber license?
- Log in to the Online Services Portal
- Pay the $160 renewal fee
What are the renewal fees for my South Carolina plumber license?
Do I need continuing education to maintain my South Carolina plumber license?
How often do I have to renew my South Carolina plumber license?
The Residential Plumbing License is renewable every two (2) years before June 31, of each odd year (2019, 2021, 2023, etc.).
Who issues the South Carolina plumbing license?
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation
110 Centerview Dr.