Who needs to be licensed for plumbing in Tennessee?
Any individual doing plumbing work.
What are the types of plumbing licenses available in Tennessee?
Plumbing is regulated at various levels throughout the state. The LLP and Contractor licenses are used at the state level but may not apply to certain regions. Check with your local municipality for details.
- Limited Licensed Plumber (LLP) - Required to perform work on a project where the cost is less than $25,000
- CMC-A – Required to perform work on a project where the cost is more than $25,000
How do I get my LLP plumbing license in Tennessee?
- Meet state requirements
- You must have one year of plumbing experience
- Pass the LLP Plumbing exam – Use this online video prep to help you pass!
- Complete a Limited Licensed Plumber Application
- Pay the $75 application fee
What code is the Tennessee plumber test based on?
International Plumbing Code, 2012 and International Fuel Gas Code, 2012
Are Tennessee plumbers tested on Law Rules and Regulations?
What are the examination fees for the plumbers’ license in Tennessee?
$55 for each exam.
What are the plumbing licensing fees in Tennessee?
There is a $75 application fee
Does this course have specific information for Tennessee plumbers?
What can I expect from the Tennessee LLP plumbing exam?
Business and Law Management (50 questions, 73% pass rate, 140 minutes allowed):
- 5 Questions - Licensing Requirements
- 7 Questions - Estimating and Bidding
- 7 Questions - Business Organization and Financial Management
- 5 Questions - Tax Laws
- 5 Questions - Labor Laws
- 6 Questions - Project Management and Lien Law
- 6 Questions - Contracts
- 4 Questions - Risk Management
- 5 Questions - Environmental and Safety
Limited Licensed Plumber (40 questions, 73% pass rate, 135 minutes allowed):
- 5 Questions - General Knowledge and Math
- 4 Questions - General Requirements (not including Gas) Administrative, Structural, Backflow, Materials and Supports, Joints and Connections, Storm Drains, Testing
- 4 Questions - Water Supply and Distribution
- 2 Questions - Fixtures, including Water Heaters
- 10 Questions - Drain, Waste, and Vent Systems, including Indirect and Special Waste
- 2 Questions - Traps, Cleanouts, and Interceptors
- 7 Questions - Isometric Analysis
- 4 Questions - Gas Appliances and Piping
- 2 Questions - OSHA Safety
What does your Tennessee LLP exam prep course cover?
- IPC Chapter 1 - Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- IPC Chapter 2 - Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- IPC Chapter 3 - General Regulations
- IPC Chapter 4 - Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- IPC Chapter 5 - Water Heaters
- IPC Chapter 6 - Water Supply and Distribution
- IPC Chapter 7 - Sanitary Drainage
- IPC Chapter 8 - Indirect and Special Waste
- IPC Chapter 9 - Vents
- IPC Chapter 10 - Traps, Interceptors and Separators
- IPC Chapter 11 - Storm Drainage
- IPC Chapter 13 - Nonpotable Water Systems
- IPC Chapter 14 - Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Master Plumber Isometrics
- Practice Tests
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
Is the Tennessee plumber exam open book?
What should I bring to the Tennessee plumber exams?
- A silent, nonprinting, non-programmable calculator
- International Plumbing Code, 2012, International Code Council
- International Fuel Gas Code, 2012, International Code Council
- Mathematics for Plumbers and Pipefitters, Lee Smith, 8th Edition, 2013
- Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 (OSHA)
Code of Federal Regulations - 29 CFR Part 1926 Selections by PSI, with latest available amendments
NOTE: Reference materials may be highlighted, underlined, and/or indexed prior to the examination session. However, references may not be written in. Any candidate caught writing in the references during the examination will be reported to the Board. Furthermore, candidates are not permitted to bring in any additional papers (loose or attached) with their approved references. References may be tabbed/indexed with permanent tabs only.
Where can I take the Tennessee plumber exam?
6918 Shallowford Rd, Suite 314
Chattanooga, TN 37421
368 North Parkway, #3
Jackson, TN 38305
904 Sunset Drive, Ste 7A
Johnson City, TN 37604
301 South Gallaher View Rd, Suite 114
Knoxville, TN 37919
Apple Tree Center
6099 Mt. Moriah Extended, Suite 17
Memphis, TN 38115
1102 Kermit Drive, Suite 101
Nashville, TN 37217
How do I know if I passed the Tennessee plumber exam?
Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination. The following summary describes the score reporting process:
- On screen – your score will appear immediately on the computer screen. This will happen automatically at the end of the time allowed for the examination; if you are using review features, you will be able to obtain your score immediately when you indicate that you have finished and would like to see your results.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on the screen.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful notification on the screen along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by examination portion. Registration forms for submittal to PSI to retake the examination will be available at the examination site.
- On paper – an official score report will be printed at the examination site
Are there accommodations for individuals with special needs during the plumbing licensing exam?
All examination centers are equipped to provide access in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, and exam accommodations will be made in meeting a candidate’s needs. Applicants with disabilities or those who would otherwise have difficulty taking the examination must fill out the Exam Accommodations Request form at the end of this Candidate Information Bulletin and fax to PSI (702) 932- 2666. This form also includes out-of-state testing requests
Does Tennessee offer reciprocity for plumbing licenses?
Yes, you may be waved from the trade exam if you hold a license in:
- Alabama (General, Electrical, Residential, and HVAC)
- Arkansas (Arkansas Contractors Licensing Board)
- Georgia (Commercial Building and Electrical)
- Louisiana (Residential, Commercial, Electrical, and Mechanical)
- Mississippi (Residential, Commercial, Electrical, Mechanical (Unlimited)
- North Carolina (Residential/Commercial)
- Ohio (Electrical; Plumbing; and HVAC)
- South Carolina (Commercial Contractors Licensing Board) NASCLA (National Commercial Exam)
You must complete a Request for Contractor License Verification.
Is there any way to be waved from the Tennessee plumbing exam?
Yes, you may be waved from the trade exam only if you hold licensing in a reciprocal state. See the answer above.
How do I renew my Tennessee LLP license?
How do I renew my Tennessee CMC-A license?
What are the renewal fees for my Tennessee LLP license?
What are the renewal fees for my Tennessee CMC-A license?
Do I need continuing education to maintain my Tennessee LLP or CMC-A license?
How often do I have to renew my Tennessee LLP or CMC-A license?
Every two years on the anniversary of licensure.
Who issues the Tennessee plumbing license?
Department of Commerce and Insurance
James Robertson Pkwy
Nashville, TN 37243-0565