HD Video Courses • Mobile Friendly • Available 24/7
South Carolina Plumber License General FAQ
Individuals must be licensed to perform any type of plumbing work without a licensed supervisor.
- Residential Specialty Contractor Plumbing License
- Commercial Contractor License - Required for jobs over $5,000
- Submit the completed Residential Specialty Plumbing Contractor application form to the Residential Builders Commission
The form can be completed online or by mail.
Once a Residential Plumbing application is approved by the Residential Builders Commission staff an Examination Eligibility Letter will be mailed to the applicant.
- Pass the Business and Law exam and the Residential Plumbing exam within one year of exam eligibility. You are only allowed 3 attempts
- After you have passed the Residential Plumbing exam and the Business Management and Law exam you must submit the following information to the Residential Builders Commission staff:
- A copy of your test results from PSI testing services.
- A certified check or money order made payable to LLR-Residential Builders Commission in the amount of $160.00 if the licensed issued is for more than twelve (12) months before the next renewal date. If the license is to be issued for twelve (12) months or less before the next renewal date a certified check or money order made payable to LLR-Residential Builders Commission in the amount of $80.00.
- A surety bond in the amount of $10,000 (original bond signed by the applicant with the power of attorney attached) if you intend to do work over $5000.00 total cost of the project (labor and materials included) the bond must be issued in the individual applicants name listed as principal and not in a company or business name.
Business Law for Contractors
- Business Management
- Licensing Laws and Rules
- Estimating and Bidding
- Contracts and Agreements
- Project Management
- Insurance and Bonding
- Safety Recordkeeping and Reporting
- Labor Laws and Employment Regulations
- Financial Management
- Environmental Factors
- Tax Law
- Lien Laws
International Plumbing Code
- IPC Chapter 1 - Administration, Scope and Intent/Purpose
- IPC Chapter 2 - Definitions and Symbols
- Plumbing Math
- IPC Chapter 3 - General Regulations
- IPC Chapter 4 - Fixtures, Faucets, and Fixture Fittings
- IPC Chapter 5 - Water Heaters
- IPC Chapter 6 - Water Supply and Distribution
- IPC Chapter 7 - Sanitary Drainage
- IPC Chapter 8 - Indirect and Special Waste
- IPC Chapter 9 - Vents
- IPC Chapter 10 - Traps, Interceptors and Separators
- IPC Chapter 11 - Storm Drainage
- IPC Chapter 13 - Nonpotable Water Systems
- IPC Chapter 14 - Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
- Appendix E
- Private Sewage Systems
- International Fuel Gas Code
- Hands-On Practical Application
- Master Plumber Isometrics
- Practice Test
- Reading and Understanding the PSI Bulletin
- Books That You Should Have During the Exam
- Effective Study Techniques
South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation
110 Centerview Dr.